Monday 22 June 2009



Displacement mapping within 3DS Max can rapidly increase poly counts because the more detail you require then the more polygons you will need. Applying displacement maps throughout your scenes will result in extremely high poly counts but V ray has an answer to that problem. The V ray Displacement Mod allows you to create highly detailed displacement maps without the need for huge poly counts. This tutorial will cover the basics of how to use this modifier so you can create highly detailed models.


Start by creating a plane with as little segments as you like and apply a texture to it.

Apply the Vray Displacement Mod which can be found right near the bottom of the modifier list.


Under parameters select 2D Mapping and then choose your displacement image in the empty Texmap box. I usually create a black and white version of the original texture in Photoshop in order to create a displacement map texture.
Adjust the Amount value to increase or decrease the amount of displacement you desire.

The resolution parameter is the amount of detail you would like the displacement map. I chose a value of 2048 so that it has a fairly high amount of detail.


Once you have done that then hit render to see the results. The displacement mod is also very good for creating realistic looking grass, the more you increase the amount then the longer the grass. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Any time I try to apply a vray displacement at a resolution higher than 1200x1200 or so, my render crashes, even if I try rendering to a vrimg file. I've kept lowering the displacement settings but it still crashes. It shouldnt be a memory issue, I'm running 8GB DDR3 RAM. Have you had any similar issues? (3DS MAX 2009 + VRAY 1.5 RC3)

    str-studios@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for sharing. Naples Tutoring Will check back later for more of your articles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like an educational blog which always some new information to visitors Private tutor Far hills and Enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve desired to post about something similar to this on one of my blogs and this has given me an idea. Private tutor Tribeca Cool Mat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't be written any better. Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Private tutor Squirrel Hill North Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve desired to post about something similar to this on one of my blogs and this has given me an idea. Private tutor of Gladwyne Cool Mat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting! I really like what you've acquired here; You should keep it up forever!Private School in Miami, Fl Best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really informative blog for students, Private School in Cutler Bay, Fl keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete